SOOTHING SELF CARE WITH FULL MOON YOGA
by Michelle Pugh, Owner of Joonbug Yoga & Yoga Instructor at Alderbrook Resort & Spa
The warm Summer sun sets and we pause to take in the deepest breath we have taken all day … then release and let go by emptying our lungs completely. Becoming aware of the whole body as waves softly crash on the shores of Hood Canal we take time to reflect on the previous lunar cycle through a gentle flow yoga practice where everyone is welcome to bring their fullest expression of their authentic self under the twilight of the evening sky. This is full moon yoga! A mindful practice designed to awaken and refresh the body, mind and spirit through breath, movement and relaxation.
Taking time for ourselves is not always convenient yet when we experience a deep cleansing breath we are reminded of how precious that “pause” can be. We can not give from an empty cup. In order to fill what is empty and empty what is full we must develop a consistent self care practice. Just like that warm breath of fresh Summer air, a regular full moon yoga practice can be a soothing time to look forward to each month for gentle reflection and time for renewal.
It is during the full moon lunar cycle that light is shed on what has come to fruition during the previous cycle. Aware of our intentions under the brilliant energy of the full moon we open up to new experiences. This is the time to let go of things that do not serve our highest potential. We may ask ourselves honestly under the light of the moon “how can I be kinder to myself and others” or “what does my heart need today”? This can be a lovely time for self reflection and a healthy reminder to treat ourselves and others with compassion. By letting go of unhealthy patterns we can allow the true essence of our well being shimmer and move ahead gracefully in the celebration of what is to come in the month ahead.
Let the full moon replenish your energy during a mindful yoga practice when the moon is at its fullest expression! Like the full moon, our breath and yoga poses should ebb and flow intuitively with hip and heart opening yoga postures (ie. butterfly, pigeon pose, etc.). Be gentle with yourself during this time by eating healthy, hydrating often and listening to your intuition throughout your practice to receive the full benefits of the evening. To bring closure to the full moon yoga practice, we close our eyes and bathe in the warm Summer breeze, feeling the support of the full moon. Breathe in the intentions set at the beginning of the practice as the moon energizes your entire being with a fresh sense of vitality inside and out. Welcome opportunities for health, abundance and happiness available to us at any given moment under the light of the full moon!
Year-round, Michelle teaches a weekly aqua yoga class, every Tuesday, in our saltwater pool as well as a weekly waterfront yoga class, every Friday, on our waterfront checkerboard or pool house, depending on the weather. Every full moon, she also teaches a full moon yoga class on our waterfront. Yoga classes are complimentary to overnight guests and $10 for non-hotel guests. All levels of practice are welcome. Advanced reservations are not required and payment for the class can be made at the hotel’s Front Desk. Please call 360.898.2145 for more information.
Washington’s Alderbrook Resort & Spa Unveils “Creativity on the Canal” Program with Art and Writing Workshops, Exhibits and Experiences
Upcoming activities include portrait workshops, writing retreat and outdoor painting
in a tranquil resort setting for budding and experienced artists alike
Resting on the shores of Hood Canal and framed by the Olympic Mountains, Alderbrook Resort & Spa sits just two hours from west of Seattle and has been frequented by painters, musicians, actors, poets, writers and dancers since its founding more than a century ago. To celebrate the inspirational setting and artistic history, the Resort has launched the Creativity on the Canal program, inviting guests and community members alike to embrace the love of art through workshops, guest experiences and on-site exhibitions that celebrate Northwest beauty.
“In 1924, Hood Canal was heralded as the first non-native artist colony in Washington State,” says Shaun Tucker, General Manager of Alderbrook Resort and Spa. “Creativity on the Canal is a testament to Alderbrook’s roots in arts and culture, and reflects the Resort’s dedication to creative expression. By providing the tools necessary to create, combined with a beautiful backdrop, we hope to inspire our guests to draw, paint, compose and write.”
Alderbrook hosts both local and nationally renowned artists and published authors to facilitate the creative process through fine arts training and workshops. Set in a peaceful resort setting, the workshops encompass a variety of themes and topic such as traditional landscape and still-life painting as well as creative and expository writing. Alderbrook’s Creativity on the Canal upcoming programming includes:
• Art Supplies, available year-round – Alderbrook provides guests with amenities and resources necessary to draw, paint and compose. Shared easels and complimentary art supplies can be found throughout the grounds for guest’s use and guests can find a complimentary sketchbook and drawing pencil upon entering their room or Resort cottage. In addition, colorful art kits are available for purchase in the honor bar, with additional art supplies found in the Gift Shop.
• Weekly Art Classes, available year-round – Alderbrook offers weekly complimentary artistic experiences, such as sketching, painting and writing classes throughout the year.
• Art Gallery, available year-round – Local and regional artists facilitate the installation and sale of rotating art, displayed in the Gift Shop.
• Plein Air Painting, Each Wednesday, June through September from 4:00-5:00 p.m. – Capture the beauty of the Hood Canal during weekly outdoor painting classes, led by Rob Kamin of the Hood’s Canal Artist Haven. The class is complimentary to hotel guests, $10 for non-hotel guests.
• Hood Canal Summer’s End Party, September 6, 2015 – Marvel at all that a Hood Canal summer has to offer by tasting Hood Canal seafood prepared by Union’s restaurants, dancing the night away to music by local musicians and admiring the handiwork of regional artisans.
• Portrait Painting with Kate Stone, Sept. 12 & Sept. 13, 2015 – Study portraiture with award winning portrait Artist Katherine Stone. This two day workshop will cover the basics, such as drybrush block-in, tint mixing and tricks for creating a convincing likeness. Intermediate students will appreciate this opportunity to build their skillset, but beginners are welcome as well. All levels will appreciate learning a systematic approach to flesh tones they can apply to their own work. Cost: $360 plus tax for workshop for both hotel and non-hotel guests; accommodations, dining & supplies are not included.
• Brunch with Debbie Macomber, Oct. 10, 2015 – Enjoy breakfast in high tea fashion with Port Orchard-based, #1 New York Times best-selling Author Debbie Macomber, as she launches her holiday book, Dashing Through the Snow! Tickets include breakfast, an autographed copy of the book and a chance to ask her about her work. Call early to make a reservation, as space is limited.
• Alderbrook en Plein Air, October 18, 2015 – Plein Air Washington members and all artists are welcome to Alderbrook’s 2nd annual en Plein Air event, featuring outdoor painting. All participants will receive an Alderbrook creativity kit and will have the opportunity to win prizes including an overnight stay for pieces created at this event. Located throughout our Resort Grounds, 10AM-3PM, and complimentary to both hotel and non hotel guests. Advanced registration not required.
For more information on any of the events above, please visit the resort’s Area & Activities event calendar and the Guestrooms Specials & Packages sections at AlderbrookResort.com, or call (360) 898-2200.
Kelsey Richards| Duo Public Relations for Alderbrook Resort & Spa | 206.706.0508 | email@example.com
Memorial Day Weekend was a special time for family and friends to connect and enjoy time together at Alderbrook Resort & Spa. John Chen, CEO of Geoteaming, shared his love of geocaching and Peter Gaylord, the designer of Alderbrook’s geocaching course watched guests enjoy his craftsmanship. Nate Jester stunned and amazed kids of all ages at his magic and comedy shows and Biff Moss strummed ukulele on our Patio while guests enjoyed cocktails and our new menu created by Executive Chef, Josh Delgado. Hooray for summer on the Hood Canal!
Settled in the bountiful Skokomish Valley 100 years ago, Alderbrook Resort & Spa quickly grew into a mainstay thanks to the abundance of succulent native horticulture found throughout the harvest season. With salmon spawning season currently in full swing and fresh fall produce springing through the rich Hood Canal soil, this Northwest resort is gearing up for another refreshing fall season with festive fall activities and amenities. Throughout October, join Alderbrook for a variety of culinary and family friendly delights. Experiences include:
Wednesdays in September:
- Salmon Bake- For a perfect end-of-summer dining experience, join us for classic Salmon bake on our cottage lawn from 5:00-6:00 p.m.
Fridays in September:
- Beer & Pumpkin Seeds Welcome Reception- Located in our lobby from 6-7PM, complimentary to overnight guests Start a weekend getaway with decadence, in the form of Wine and Cheese! Enjoy complimentary sips and bites in our lobby from 6:00-7:00 p.m.
Saturdays in September:
- Xbox Game Room Tournament- For the young and young at heart, test those hard earned gaming skills at our weekly Xbox Game Room Tournaments for a chance to win Resort credits! Meet in the Xbox Game Room at 3:00 p.m. to play Madden in honor of NFL season.
In addition to the festive resort amenities and activities taking place throughout October, the NW Resort is hosting special seasonal events and overnight packages. Events and specials include:
- Beer Maker’s Dinner with Sound Brewery: Celebrate Octoberfest with hearty beer and perfectly paired fare at the October Beer Maker’s Dinner on Saturday, Oct. 12. Meet Beer Maker and Owner Mark Hood, and experience Octoberfest Alderbrook-style for $99.00 per person. Social begins at 6:30 p.m. and dinner at 7:00 p.m. Call the Restaurant at Alderbrook at 360.898.5500 for registration and more information. Event is open to both Resort and non-Resort Guests. Limited Space Available.
- Spa Open House: Enjoy an evening of indulgence at our Conde Nast Traveler-renowned day spa. Meet at the Spa at Alderbrook on Thursday, Oct. 17th for complimentary mini-treatments, product sampling, makeup, bites and beverages abound. Open to Resort and non-Resort Guests, contact the Spa at 360.898.5520 for more information.
- Halloween Costume Contest: Come dressed to impress on Oct. 31 for an evening of ghoulish delights. Starting at 8:00 p.m., the lounge is open to guests and non-guests alike for a festive costume contest and live music throughout the evening. Winners of the costume contest will be announced at 10:00 p.m. Visit AlderbookResort.com to learn more about the “scary” rates starting at $89 for Halloween.
- Special Packages: October marks the launch of five overnight packages that pamper the body, relax the mind and tantalize the taste buds. With packages available through December starting at $179, guests are invited to indulge in packages varying from wine and dine accommodations, golf specials, couples retreats and more.
For more information on any of the events above, please visit the resort’s event calendar. To read more about the accommodations packages, visit the Specials & Packages page on AlderbrookResort.com or call (360) 898-2200.
About Alderbrook Resort & Spa:
Alderbrook Resort & Spa evokes the calming spirit of the Hood Canal. Less than two hours west of Seattle, yet a world away from the everyday, the Resort is nestled on the scenic south shore of Hood Canal and is ideal for a getaway or conference retreat. Featuring 77 luxury guest rooms, 16 private one and two-bedroom cottages and three private guesthouses near the golf course, Alderbrook Resort & Spa’s thoughtfully appointed amenities include premium linens, soaking tubs, a world-class full-service spa, a waterfront pool, and a welcoming stone fireplace and library in the lobby, as well as access to the 54-foot luxury Lady Alderbrook cruise boat, the Hood Canal Marina and a neighboring PGA-class golf course and clubhouse. Named in the “Top 100 Best in the World” hotels and ranking number one of 10 of Resorts in the Pacific Northwest by Condé Nast Traveler in November 2012, “Top 10 Mainland Spas” by Condé Nast Traveler in June 2012 and “Best Resort” in 2012 by Evening Magazine, the Resort also houses The Restaurant at Alderbrook, which specializes in the region’s best local seafood and world-class wines. For more information, please visit http://www.alderbrookresort.com.
No menu selected.