Creativity on the Canal Program
Washington’s Alderbrook Resort & Spa Unveils “Creativity on the Canal” Program with Art and Writing Workshops, Exhibits and Experiences
Upcoming activities include portrait workshops, writing retreat and outdoor painting
in a tranquil resort setting for budding and experienced artists alike
Resting on the shores of Hood Canal and framed by the Olympic Mountains, Alderbrook Resort & Spa sits just two hours from west of Seattle and has been frequented by painters, musicians, actors, poets, writers and dancers since its founding more than a century ago. To celebrate the inspirational setting and artistic history, the Resort has launched the Creativity on the Canal program, inviting guests and community members alike to embrace the love of art through workshops, guest experiences and on-site exhibitions that celebrate Northwest beauty.
“In 1924, Hood Canal was heralded as the first non-native artist colony in Washington State,” says Shaun Tucker, General Manager of Alderbrook Resort and Spa. “Creativity on the Canal is a testament to Alderbrook’s roots in arts and culture, and reflects the Resort’s dedication to creative expression. By providing the tools necessary to create, combined with a beautiful backdrop, we hope to inspire our guests to draw, paint, compose and write.”
Alderbrook hosts both local and nationally renowned artists and published authors to facilitate the creative process through fine arts training and workshops. Set in a peaceful resort setting, the workshops encompass a variety of themes and topic such as traditional landscape and still-life painting as well as creative and expository writing. Alderbrook’s Creativity on the Canal upcoming programming includes:
• Art Supplies, available year-round – Alderbrook provides guests with amenities and resources necessary to draw, paint and compose. Shared easels and complimentary art supplies can be found throughout the grounds for guest’s use and guests can find a complimentary sketchbook and drawing pencil upon entering their room or Resort cottage. In addition, colorful art kits are available for purchase in the honor bar, with additional art supplies found in the Gift Shop.
• Weekly Art Classes, available year-round – Alderbrook offers weekly complimentary artistic experiences, such as sketching, painting and writing classes throughout the year.
• Art Gallery, available year-round – Local and regional artists facilitate the installation and sale of rotating art, displayed in the Gift Shop.
• Plein Air Painting, Each Wednesday, June through September from 4:00-5:00 p.m. – Capture the beauty of the Hood Canal during weekly outdoor painting classes, led by Rob Kamin of the Hood’s Canal Artist Haven. The class is complimentary to hotel guests, $10 for non-hotel guests.
• Hood Canal Summer’s End Party, September 6, 2015 – Marvel at all that a Hood Canal summer has to offer by tasting Hood Canal seafood prepared by Union’s restaurants, dancing the night away to music by local musicians and admiring the handiwork of regional artisans.
• Portrait Painting with Kate Stone, Sept. 12 & Sept. 13, 2015 – Study portraiture with award winning portrait Artist Katherine Stone. This two day workshop will cover the basics, such as drybrush block-in, tint mixing and tricks for creating a convincing likeness. Intermediate students will appreciate this opportunity to build their skillset, but beginners are welcome as well. All levels will appreciate learning a systematic approach to flesh tones they can apply to their own work. Cost: $360 plus tax for workshop for both hotel and non-hotel guests; accommodations, dining & supplies are not included.
• Brunch with Debbie Macomber, Oct. 10, 2015 – Enjoy breakfast in high tea fashion with Port Orchard-based, #1 New York Times best-selling Author Debbie Macomber, as she launches her holiday book, Dashing Through the Snow! Tickets include breakfast, an autographed copy of the book and a chance to ask her about her work. Call early to make a reservation, as space is limited.
• Alderbrook en Plein Air, October 18, 2015 – Plein Air Washington members and all artists are welcome to Alderbrook’s 2nd annual en Plein Air event, featuring outdoor painting. All participants will receive an Alderbrook creativity kit and will have the opportunity to win prizes including an overnight stay for pieces created at this event. Located throughout our Resort Grounds, 10AM-3PM, and complimentary to both hotel and non hotel guests. Advanced registration not required.
For more information on any of the events above, please visit the resort’s Area & Activities event calendar and the Guestrooms Specials & Packages sections at AlderbrookResort.com, or call (360) 898-2200.
Kelsey Richards| Duo Public Relations for Alderbrook Resort & Spa | 206.706.0508 | firstname.lastname@example.org